It is important that your teeth are cleaned and examined regularly by a dental professional. Effective removal of plaque and calculus can only be done in a dental office with the use of specialized equipment.
During your dental cleaning our dental hygienists will:
- Remove plaque to prevent gum inflammation and periodontal disease
- Remove calculus (tartar) formed from plaque to prevent gingivitis
- Polish your teeth to remove stains and plaque
Dental examinations are performed at your regularly scheduled cleaning appointments, which are usually every six months. These check-up appointments may include:
- Diagnostic X-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions. We recommend a panoramic radiograph every 5 years and prefer bite-wing radiographs annually. Other radiographs are taken as needed.
- Oral cancer screening: Examination of the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Periodontal evaluation: Examination of the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Dental Evaluation: Examination of all tooth surfaces for decay, fractures, and wear. This will also include evaluation of all existing dental restorations with specialized instruments.
- Tempromandibular evaluation: we will feel and listen to your tempromandibular joints and evaluate the facial musculature.